Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Deep in the Heart of...

In August, I will move from Columbia, Missouri (pop: 95,000) to Austin, Texas (pop: 710,000). We all know that everything is bigger in Texas, but my hope is that my time in The Lone Star State will allow me to investigate myths and educate my readers about what it's like to live in a place that, on February 1st, 1861 seceeded from the union to be the charter member of the Confederate States of America. Ultimately, I want and expect to come up with some misconceptions about Texas. I imagine that living in Austin will challenge all of my perceptions and stereotypes about ten gallon hats and big hair (see:http://www.keepaustinweird.com/). I'm hoping that messing with Texas will have many interesting and positive results. Because, to quote Kinky Friedman, "I just want Texas to be number one in something other than executions, toll roads and property taxes."

2 comments:

Courtney said...

YESSSSSSSS! Love the map. Maybe it will help me get my states right in the future.

keith said...

Texas is fucking awesome (I would say that wouldn't I)!! I spent alot of time there while driving OTR. Especially driving between Dallas and Laredo, and New Jersey and Laredo, and pretty much everywhere and Laredo. Viva La Commerce!! Here's my review. San Antonio= 2nd favorite city on earth. Dallas, Houston, Austin(learn how to drive like an asstard), and Waco suck. Amarillo smells like sage. Tyler and Texarkana are shitholes. Brownsville is a humid old-folks home,and Laredo is..well, really,really Mexican. Plus lots of kidnappings.But still pretty awesome. I was stranded there for a week. Listened to alot of Tejano music. Doesn't sound like a glowing review does it? It is. Most of the cities except for San Antonio(Bettie's Battalion is a great Armed Service bar across from Fort Sam Houston, but somehow I dont see you drinking there)are lame. Austin's music scene is particularly Douchebaggy.Its all the in between places(lots and lots of'em) that make the state.Like Rt.82 along the northern border. And Rt. 83 along the Mexican border between Laredo and Brownsville which is awesome at night. Its fucking no-mans land. Also there is a Campbells soup plant in Paris that you can smell from quite a distance,and a bar in a basement under a pharmacy in Nuevo Laredo, Mexico that has alot of depressed looking hookers.