Sunday, April 26, 2009

Eeyore's Part II


Eeyore's Birthday was pretty much exactly as described on the wikipedia page. But first, and most fabulous of all, I had my first confirmed Leslie siting. I was pretty sure I saw him at SXSW, but didn't have any sources to back me up. Yesterday, my friends confirmed that I was, in fact seeing, Austin's favorite mayoral candidate. Leslie has had three official bids for mayor, his most successful run in 2000 when he received almost 8% of the vote. He is so popular that you can now buy a magnet with his likeness here in Austin that comes with interchangeable magnetic outfits. He's known for flashing his thong at public events and generally bringing the party.

Anyway, back to Eeyore's. My first ten minutes set the tone. While waiting in line for drink tickets I stood behind two people who were smoking a joint. Then, two minutes later at the costume contest an old woman got on stage, wearing rabbit ears, a skirt and her boobs painted like Easter eggs tossed out condoms from her Easter basket. There was a lot of hula-hooping, a May pole, a large crowd of people attempting to double dutch, and people of unknown qualifications that had set up "free body painting" areas. It was pretty fabulous for an event just minutes from downtown.

When I first heard of Eeyore's birthday I was pretty sure it would be little kids, mostly lame games, and a lot of store-bought Winnie the Pooh costumes. There were a lot of kids, but they were the breed of hippie kids that I like. Oh and the costumes were amazing. Here's one of my favorites:

1 comment:

Admin said...

Crazy! So why are they celebrating Eeyore again?? I love the twinkie costume...it makes me need to go to the store and get a twinkie RIGHT NOW!