Friday, September 3, 2010

coaching in luxury

I need help. Someone has to show me how to spoil myself. Seriously. I have this painfully midwestern sense of farm wife practicality. Observe.

Things I have never done:

1) gotten a manicure
2) gotten a pedicure
3) gotten a massage
4) gotten a facial/spa treatment of any kind
5) had my hair professionally dyed or highlighted
6) had anything professionally waxed
7) ordered lobster or duck or steak in a restaurant
8) owned a car less than five years old (my current is over 10)
9) paid for a music festival (i always volunteer so i can go for free)
10) bought anything I couldn't pay for all at once

Yes. This may be fiscally responsible. I imagine my parents would read this and feel proud that they had raised such a practical daughter. I have savings. I shop carefully and consciously. It's all very reasonable. And boring.
Lately, I've been thinking about how I'm getting older and this window for frivolousness is closing. There is a certain class of things that you can discount as foolishness that comes with your "twenties." It's not uncommon to hear older people say, "oh yeah when I was in my twenties..." as if that was the time when anything was excusable. I'm not saying I haven't done my share of careless things, but I am saying I haven't done enough. And I need help. Soon.

4 comments:

emilyaldenfoster said...

Do you think you're likely to someday say "Oh yeah, in my 20's I was so reckless! Once I got a manicure!" I think the kind of spending in your list is the kind that probably becomes more frequent as you get older (unless you have rich parents) because you start to get sick of having crappy versions of stuff and realize that it's ok to spend money on yourself sometimes. And you might get busier and want to relax while someone else rips out your hairs. And your muscles rot so you have to get massages so you don't make too much noise when you sit in a chair. I don't know how helpful any of that is, but I know I'm probably a terrible person to take non-tightwaddery advice from.

Rachel said...

that's a good point, emily. after i wrote it i felt like i focused too much on specific things instead of the larger idea of finding inventive ways to *treat* myself to things that make me happy. i can't see myself really getting excited about a manicure so i need to find something that makes more sense for me.

ariel said...

Here's the thing, you can do some of these luxurious things without spending a fortune. I think everyone needs a massage, except after my first one, I've wanted one everyday since. On the cheap to have these things done you can go to a massage therapy school or a beauty school for waxing/hair/spa treatments, I hear it is nearly half of the cost. I'm with you on the old car thing, and I absolutley hate the idea of having to make monthly payments on something that depreciates everyday. Pampering can come in simple forms, buying a nice pair of socks, a new lotion, you don't have to spend a fortune. And it all depends on what makes you feel good. I would rather blow $50 on nice yarn right now than having a facial.

Nicole Spiegel said...

I am confused as to why you haven't come to me sooner. You very well know I can help you!