Thursday, October 2, 2008

Cooking Country

I'm not sure if it's living in the south or if it's having lots of extra time on my hands, but I've been doing a lot of cooking lately. This is unusual for me because:

1) I don't cook.
2) Nobody in my immediate family has ever cooked in any way since my birth.

Thanks to allrecipes.com and a little help from Zach on some of my endeavors I've made the following items:

- Maple Salmon
- Garlic Chicken (I got this from a Southern Living Cookbook "Easy Weeknight Favorites" cookbook that Zach's mom gave him years ago.)
- Breakfast Tacos (with avocado, sausage, salsa, egg, and cheddar)
- Biscuits and Gravy
- Vegetarian Chili
- Nacho Chicken (courtesy of the Southern Living cookbook, it's chicken with a Dorito crust...surprisingly good)
- Curry Chicken Salad (also courtesy of Southern Living)

Everything has turned out pretty well. I, however, don't think that this makes me a "good cook." People toss that label around too often. I just follow directions well and attend to my food items in a responsible way while they're cooking. Anybody can do that. I think a "good cook" comes from years of practice and innovation. I imagine that I will never be an exceptional cook, but it's a rewarding way to pass the time and (when I feel like doing it) it's pretty fun.

2 comments:

emilyaldenfoster said...

We just subscribed to a CSA, so I'm going to have tons of farm-fresh veggies in a few weeks. I'm excited because not knowing what will be in the box is going to force me to eat things I wouldn't usually go for. And since autumn is here, I've been looking for squash recipes. I usually hate squash, but there must be some way of making it taste good. I hope.

But I agree, cooking is fun. And easy if you have a good recipe. I just like it when someone (Channing) helps me. Otherwise I get lonely and bored.

faeriehazel said...

Since you're living in Texas, you are obligated to check out www.thepioneerwoman.com/cooking The recipes there will probably shorten your life span but they are awesome.