Sunday, September 28, 2008

Live Music



Zach and I went to a Jimmy LaFave+Betty Soo show last night at the Cactus Cafe. Jimmy was one of his dad's best friends so we got the "on the list" treatment that waived the $15 ticket cost. The Cactus Cafe is a premier folk venue in Austin and it lives ON the UT campus. It's kind of amazing. Folk artist royalty like Townes Van Zandt, Ani DiFranco, Guy Clark, Alison Krauss, and Robert Earl Keen have all played there many times throughout their career and in the intimate setting it's got to be amazing every time.
It was a really wonderful night. Jimmy played Bob's "Restless Spirits song" (which is rumored to be about Zach's mom). Nothing beats Bob's version (ask me and I'll email you the mp3) but you can watch a video of Jimmy doing the song in Kansas by following this link. Zach's dad was primarily a song writer and it's always worth it when you hear a Bob Childers song to really pay attention to the lyrics.
So now this blog has basically become about Bob instead of about the Cactus cafe and I want to post a video of the man himself:

Every show Zach goes to people are always walking up to him and telling him how important his dad was to them. Last night was no exception, a woman pulled Zach aside during the break to share a story. Ladies loved Bob. Jimmy shared a Bob-ism last night that I think is worth repeating (uncensored) here. Bob said, there are three types of songs: a toe-tapper, a tear-jerker, and the third (that was left out last night due to "mixed company") the clit-tickler.
I can't wait to see some more shows. The opener, Betty Soo, I liked so much that I bought her cd. It's not all folk music in Austin and I'm looking forward to seeing a dirty rock or hip hop show at Emo's next.

No comments: