Tuesday, September 2, 2008

what you don't know

There are things that are impossible to know when you move to a city, things that travel guides and web research won't tell you. Here are a few I've discovered in Austin:

1) 10 cents in a parking meter will only get you 6 minutes of time.

2) Gas prices vary wildly from block to block. In the five miles from my apartment to the public library I saw prices ranging from $3.51/gallon to $3.65/gallon. Sometimes the prices even change within the same chain of gas station.

3) When you are trying to get on and off a highway you will notice that you are on a one-way access road for about half a mile before you actually connect with the highway. This is not so much a problem getting on, but if you exit after your actual destination there is no way to double back without driving several blocks out of your way and circling through neighborhoods or finding a bridge to get back to the previous exit.

4) If you need maintenance done on your apartment and you live in my apartment complex, you get a free fetish magazine with service. In my case, I was unable to get into our storage room because the key didn't work. The maintenance man came, fixed it, and when I opened it up I found a copy of "Leg World" on the floor. Either it was slipped under the door by a neighbor and the whole time I was standing there talking to him it was on the ground and I should be very embarrassed OR he provided me with the October 2008 issue free of charge.

2 comments:

keith said...

I'm sorry, are you complaining about receiving a free issue of Leg World?
Did Moses complain about the Manna, or did he utilize it.

ariel said...

No kidding, why are you complaining about Leg World? It could have been much worse, like well... I won't even say.

ps- Texas keeps sounding better and better