Thursday, September 11, 2008

One Month: Giddy Up

Well, I went to the Texas DMV today and should be expecting my TX driver's license to arrive in 2-3 weeks. I'm not sure that I'm a Texan yet, but I'm on my way. In one month I've been able to take in a lot of the finer aspects of the state with the simple motto of: "Friendship." Mostly these finer aspects (so far) involve eating establishments.


Amy's Ice Cream: http://www.amysicecreams.com/
The location on South Congress operates out of a walk-up window. I had the Dark Chocolate ice cream. It made my day...and then the leftover ice cream I froze in some Tupperware made the next day as well. Oh and they're open until midnight! How great is that?!


Curra's Grill: http://currasgrill.com/
This place is five minutes from our apartment. The parking lot is always packed, but we went for a late dinner and had no problem getting a table. The atmosphere doesn't compare to Guero's, but I actually thought the food was better. I've become a huge fan of Tacos Al Pastor (marinated pork with pineapple, cilantro, and onion) and the ones here were phenomenal.

There are a lot of actual attractions here that don't involve food that I have to check out ASAP. Number one on my list (while the 90 degree weather holds) is Barton Springs. It's a three-acre natural spring pool that's been dammed up so there's a rock/gravel bottom and the temp stays about 68 degrees year round.

Oh yeah, and no job yet. No matter, I'll just gather some strength and spirit from the state song:

"Texas, Our Texas"

Texas, Our Texas! all hail the mighty State!
Texas, Our Texas! so wonderful so great!
Boldest and grandest, withstanding ev'ry test
O Empire wide and glorious, you stand supremely blest.
(chorus)

Texas, O Texas! your freeborn single star,
Sends out its radiance to nations near and far,
Emblem of Freedom! it set our hearts aglow,
With thoughts of San Jacinto and glorious Alamo.
(chorus)

Texas, dear Texas! from tyrant grip now free,
Shines forth in splendor, your star of destiny!
Mother of heroes, we come your children true,
Proclaiming our allegiance, our faith, our love for you.

Chorus

God bless you Texas! And keep you brave and strong,
That you may grow in power and worth, throughout the ages long.
God bless you Texas! And keep you brave and strong,
That you may grow in power and worth, throughout the ages long.

No comments: