Friday, September 19, 2008

Barton Springs!

I've been managing to get in an hour of exercise 5 days a week for a few weeks now. My apartment complex has a small exercise room and there's just enough equipment in there to keep me from getting burnt out on the routine. Today felt like a pool adventure day (I can't argue with an 86 degree, sunny September day). I went to Barton Springs!

It took about twenty minutes to become my new favorite place in Austin. It costs $3 to get in, but it was well worth it to me once I stepped in that freezing cold water. It literally (and I am using that correctly) took my breath away for a couple minutes. According to the site it is open year round and I promise that if it is warm and you visit we will go there. It's only a 15 minute drive from my apartment and it's very peaceful. If the weather continues I may make this a weekly adventure. There's plenty of room to swim and my exercise routine has quickly been paying off. I've lost 4 pounds in the past month.

Next up in Austin: Fantastic Fest! http://www.fantasticfest.com/ I'm not sure if we'll get to go, but check out this description from the website--

Fantastic Fest is a week-long festival featuring the best in new science-fiction, fantasy, horror, animation, crime, Asian, and all around badass cinema. The event was created to offer exposure to genre films which are often overlooked by the traditional festival circuit.

Fantastic Fest is held each year at one venue, the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema on South Lamar in Austin, Texas. The Alamo Drafthouse was named the best cinema in America by Entertainment Weekly, and features food and drink served to your seat without any disruption of the movie experience.

1 comment:

faeriehazel said...

That fest does indeed sound fantastic! Take me with you!