Thursday, January 1, 2009

Some Thoughts on 2008

It's 2009. Zach and I celebrated New Years Eve with the following:

1) Gin + tonic + $4 champagne.

2) Buffalo wings from Wing Zone.

3) Getting hopelessly lost for an hour in the hills of Austin in order to skirt First Night going on downtown.

We comforted ourselves from our venture with season one of 30 Rock on dvd and five minutes of New Years Rockin' Eve in which Dick Clark reminded us all that he had been victim to a stroke in 2004. Thank you Mr. Clark for making my last moments of 2008 incredibly depressing with your countdown.
I'd say, all in all, it was fun. I think it was my first party-free year in a long time. I've found that moving to a new city with only a handful of work friends will make one a hermit. But it does wonders for your overall appreciation for all things comfy. I was in a sweatshirt and slippers by 11 and asleep before 1 a.m. I refuse to think that this tame start reveals anything about my upcoming year.

2 comments:

emilyaldenfoster said...

My NYE was similar. We had hot cocoa and watched a movie. Channing set his phone alarm for midnight, so we could pause the movie and kiss and catch the cat and kiss him too.

I kind of felt old and lame for half of a second until I remembered that I hate new years eve and have always avoided celebrating it unless something genuinely unmissable is happening.

Tamago said...

Our NYE went the same way, too. Homemade pizzas around 8pm, me pulling out my ridiculous full-length Chicago winter coat to sit around the fire pit for a few hours roasting marshmallows in the front yard, running inside 5 mins 'til just to hear that we apparently had an extra leap second this year. We blew the holiday honkers and drank a glass of champagne and that was pretty much it for me. Despite trying to drink more, I was just too tired. Hopefully this doesn't mean we aren't party people, but wise enough to appreciate the good things or, in our case, not to make 100+ mile treks twice in one week. Happy New Year!!!