Tuesday, May 25, 2010

First timers

The proof of an adequate city is when you can live there almost two years and still have firsts. The past couple weeks I have had several of these.

1) Trivia. I've never participated in it before. My first time out my team, "Betsy Ross Perot is a Patriot" won first place out of 20+ teams. This won us a $25 gift certificate. So we went back to the bar (Shangri La) this week to use it and I played again. We didn't get first, but I was able to put my knowledge of the Marx Brothers and E. L. Doctorow to good use.

2) Salt Lick BBQ. Oh boy. A forty minute drive for exactly 40 pounds of meat for $40. Sooo good. For $20/person you can get a plate of all you can eat sausage, brisket, and ribs. It will be hard for us now to not go weekly.

3)Powerpoint. I'm old and a liberal arts (english even, one of the liberalist of the arts) person so I've never in my life had to give a powerpoint presentation. I know this doesn't fit into my proof-of-an-adequate-city category, but I had to give my first one last week. And it went really well. I have a little more confidence now that I can do things in the biz world should I need to for some godawful reason.

4)Little. I now have a "little sister" through Big Brothers Big Sisters. I actually need to get moving because I have to meet her for the fourth time in a half hour. She's a 7th grader and desperately loves anime. It's a challenge. That said, I'm relatively confident that there are few types of nerdy that I can't handle.

1 comment:

Emily Alden Foster said...

Are you saying that you ate 20 pounds of bbq by yourself in one sitting? That is amazing and gross.

Also, I want a little sister! But not until I'm finished with school.